For Couples Considering Parenthood, Pregnant Couples & Parents of Infants and Toddlers
Join Evonne Noble and Brien Wood, MA LMHC for a workshop that will prepare you for your new baby, drastically improve the quality of your relationship, and become be the best parenting team possible!
Even the strongest relationships are strained during the transition to parenthood. Lack of sleep, never-ending housework and new fiscal concerns can lead to profound stress and a decline in marital satisfaction – all of which affect baby’s care. Not surprisingly, 69% of new parents experience conflict, disappointment and hurt feelings.
Our research-based Bringing Baby Home workshops prepare couples for life with baby and helps them be the best parenting team possible. In a relaxed and supportive environment, parents learn to strengthen their relationship and foster baby’s development during this challenging time. They build on what Dr. Gottman and colleagues found is the best predictor of marital adjustment after baby arrives: the quality of friendship in the marriage.
This program combines scientific research and public education to improve the quality of life for babies and children by strengthening their families. It teaches new parents how to gain relationship satisfaction and create healthy social, emotional and intellectual development for their children.
About the workshop
In a relaxed and supportive environment we will help lay the foundation upon which you can build a solid relationship, feel confident of your parenting skills, and be prepared for your baby's development.
Developed by the renowned relationship and parenting researchers Dr. John Gottman and Julie Gottman, this workshop will help you build a nurturing home environment, develop positive conflict regulation skills, and become powerful team emotion coaches for your children.
Learn Parenting & Relationship Skills for a Lifetime of Love!
You can schedule individual sessions to fit your schedule
Learn how to:
- Stay connected with your partner even in difficult times
- Strengthen your friendship, intimacy, & conflict regulation skills
- Identify what baby is communicating and how to respond
- Learn what the research shows is the most effective parenting style & practice how to do it
- Recognize the signs of baby blues, postpartum depression, & what to do about it
- Deal with conflict successfully
- Involve both parents in the parenting
We are also offering the following classes in 2014:
- BBH Spring Session: A twelve hour, two day workshop taking place on on a Saturday/Sunday weekend, from 9am-5pm with a 90 minute break for lunch. Dates: April 12-13
- BBH Summer Session: A twelve hour, two day workshop taking place on on a Saturday/Sunday weekend, from 9am-5pm with a 90 minute break for lunch. Dates: June 28-29.
- BBH Fall Session: A twelve hour, two day workshop taking place on on a Saturday/Sunday weekend, from 9am-5pm with a 90 minute break for lunch. Dates: September 13-14
- BBH Online : A twelve hour online workshop, dates for 2014 TBA. Course cost is $400, materials additional. "Homework" required between sessions.
- All classes are held in Seattle, site TBD based on class size.
- The cost is $250 per couple for course fees* and an additional optional fee of $40 for take home materials.
- Microsoft employees: your course fees can be covered through your EAP; please contact us for details. There is an additional fee of $40 if you would like to have your own course materials.
- Scholarships, student rates, and sliding scale options available for a few spots at each workshop; please contact us to apply.
- There is room for 6-10 couples at each workshop but we need at least 4 couples to register in order to hold each class. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive registration information and reserve your space.
- If you have an infant up to 6 months old, please feel free to bring him/her to the class if you like. This has worked well for parents at our past workshops though it may take some juggling. We will have a break/rest space adjacent to the workshop area for you and baby. You are also welcome to find childcare; please do what is best for you.
- *online course and customized courses are higher
Informatoin and images on the pages adapated from the Gottman Institute